Tuesday, January 24, 2012


"Coco always sat at table eleven and everyone at Angelina knew her. The establishment opened for business in 1903 under the name Rumpelmayer but Coco would've been too poor to go there then. It became her refuge late in life, in the 1950s, when a quiet cup of hot cocoa was a daily ritual."
- David Downie, Paris, Paris

Not only did I not know that Angelina's was one of Coco's haunts, I had no clue it opened under another name. Merci, David Downie! I did, however, know that it's a great hot chocolate spot. Yes, the last time I went I saw a mouse. And yes, I know it's not the *best* hot chocolate the city has to offer. But I don't care. I still love it, the chocolat chaud is damn thick and delicious, and I will always return. You can't stop me.

And how lovely is this portrait of the old girl, by the way. Right?

Your comments on this image are welcome, and encouraged! And a question for the photographer - Beryl Byrd - if s/he is so inclined: Is there anything special about this moment, day, trip, or place beyond what you've shared on Flickr that you'd like to add or comment on here? Along with other vivaca visitors, I would love to know more!

Location: Paris, France ★
Photo courtesy of Beryl Byrd

4 comments:

  1. hi marisa,
    thanks for sharing my photo with your readers. being a pastry chef, this was near the top of my "must visit" list.
    i was reading a different area of your blog about photographing familiar places from a less familiar vantage point. actually, that's what i always do. everyone's seen the eiffel tower but have they seen it through a raindrop sprinkled window from the centre pompidou? or taken a self portrait at the south pillar, showing only a bit of the ironwork?
    anyway, you have a new fan. lovely blog!
    best, beryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beryl! Ah, a pastry chef. What a wonderful métier. I'm glad you got to enjoy Angelina's and that you took such a lovely, unique photo of it that I was able to share here. It's really a charming picture. I love the light and reflection and the feeling it evokes. Good to meet a fellow photog who seeks out familiar places from less familiar vantage points. Thank you for making your photo available for people like me to share and for your additional comments here. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marisa if you want to drink hot chocolates at Angelina's and it makes you heart sing that is all that matters!!! I did not know it had a name change either.........we love Coco don't we
    Carla x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails