Saturday, September 4, 2010


At the end of August, I featured another photo from Rome of another modern building, which, from the chosen shot, didn't necessarily look particularly modern. The MAXXI Museum - the new National Museum of XXI Century Arts - is an unmistakably a modern structure. Something that, so I hear, is not a typically welcome development in the more ancient, classical, medieval, renaissance, etc. architectural styles that dominate Rome. If one imagines, say, Venice or Siena or some other European town that is famous for not updating its buildings to anything remotely 21st Century, then I can see why Romans are so against changing the look of their city with pointedly new designs.

Perhaps MAXXI has been or will be better received as the years wear on. Just like I.M. Pei's pyramid - actually, pyramids plural - at the Louvre wasn't widely applauded when it was installed and then grew to be accepted and just another lovable Parisian landmark, I can see the MAXXI Museum's look being similarly loved in time.

As I've never been to Rome and have essentially zero idea what the building looks like in context, I can't speak on this with any real authority. But simply basing my hunch on how interesting and appealing it looks in this artsy image, I hope that there is potential for this unique structure to fit in and find a little love from Romans and visitors alike.

Your comments on this image are welcome, and encouraged! And a question for the photographer - stefano cipriani - if s/he is so inclined: Is there anything special about this moment, day, trip, or place beyond what you've shared on Flickr that you'd like to add or comment on here? Along with other vivaca visitors, I would love to know more!

Location: Rome, Italy ★
Photo courtesy of stefano cipriani

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails