Thursday, August 14, 2008

As a woman, and as an American citizen I suppose, there are many - too many - wonderful places in the world that I fear I will never get to, out of fear. I would love to visit Lebanon, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Colombia, Laos, Somolia - the list goes on and on. When you read the U.S. State Department's warning advisory for Americans and women traveling alone in Mexico, your hair stands on end. It's a disconcerting disappointment, at the very least, that the world is not a safer or stress-free place to roam. For women or for people of any nationality. While I enjoy Flickring stunning locations like Pigeon's Rock in Beirut - as seen above - I'd much prefer to visit such places in person. It pisses me off that this might never come to pass due to some genuine danger or to my own personal fears.

Your comments on this image are welcome, and encouraged! And a question for the photographers - Razzan Ghazzawi and seanieblue - if they are so inclined: Is there anything special about this moment, day, trip, or place beyond what you've shared on Flickr that you'd like to add or comment on here? Along with other vivaca visitors, I would love to know more!

Location: Beirut, Lebanon ★
Photo courtesy of Razzan Ghazzawi and seanieblue

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails