Thursday, September 11, 2008

Gondole, gondole, gondole! And then some. Like the view from atop the Eiffel Tower, a gondola ride is something I've yet to experience. Even though, as of this writing, I've been to Paris three times and four to Venice. What's the rush, right? I love both cities and plan to spend a lifetime (or the remainder thereof) returning. I figure it'd be kinda cool (and maybe more fun) to do the most touted touristy things later, if not last.

Your comments on this image are welcome, and encouraged! And a question for the photographers - makinaman, Gianni, bfbyrne, nando.scafroglia and lienestrkzh - if they are so inclined: Is there anything special about this moment, day, trip, or place beyond what you've shared on Flickr that you'd like to add or comment on here? Along with other vivaca visitors, I would love to know more!

Location: [top photo] Venice, Italy ★
Photo courtesy of makinaman

Location: [second photo from top] Venice, Italy ★
Photo courtesy of Gianni

Location: [third photo from top] Venice, Italy ★
Photo courtesy of bfbyrne

Location: [fourth photo from top] Venice, Italy ★
Photo courtesy of nando.scafroglia

Location: [bottom photo] Venice, Italy ★
Photo courtesy of lienestrkzh

7 comments:

  1. It was a fun experience and one that everyone has to try at least once while they are in Venice. Although it is a pricey experience, I think it was about 80 euros (about $120 at the time) for 40 minute ride. We requested a tour through some of the smaller, side canals, which is where I took the picture with the smoking gondolier. An interesting fact about gondolas is, since they obviously don't have a horn, at canal intersections the gondolier has to announce his presence to avoid other boat traffic. Our gondolier made a strange whale-like noise, that we found quite amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, Venice! The beloved sinking city. It felt a bit like Disney Land when I was there, I think I need to go back with someone who would actually enjoy the gondolas and the museums! What is your favorite part of Venice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. If your impression of Venice was a little like Disneyland, then you definitely need to go back. Because it shouldn't feel like that outside of the Rialto and San Marco tourist centers. My favorite part of Venice is San Pietro di Castello. It's charming and quiet with it's own leaning bell tower and a million miles away (mentally) from the hustle and bustle and throngs of visitors crowding your space and your every thought, back yonder in the tourist center of Venice. I also like the Dorsoduro sestiere, in general. Really, there isn't a corner of Venice that I dislike. It all depends on one's mood; for a small city there are many shades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Brendan. I love the gondoliers' calls. They're great, aren't they? Highly amusing. Apparently there are different calls that mean different things. Very necessary when you don't have a horn, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, by the way, I stayed in the Cannaregio area in Venice, and I loved it. It was away from the tourist traffic, yet only a 15 minute walk to Saint Marks. Cannaregio is where the locals live, shop, and eat. It has wide charming walkways, great outdoor cafes, and restaurants. I strongly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you Brendan. I love Cannaregio (I've been to Venice 5 times)The area around Madonna dell'Orto is particularly peaceful.When I go I always rent an apt.They come fully equipped with everything you need and are similar in price to a hotel.Check out veniceapartments.org for ideas.I can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of these years I'll go and rent an apartment. Great suggestions, rainjoy60. My last two visits were for a month (each) and I stayed at the Ca' del Dose, which I'd recommend to anyone. It's a basic B&B with helpful, friendly ownership in Castello. A short walk to San Marco, but a million miles away in that it's an authentic Venetian neighborhood without masses of tourists. I'll be staying there again, next spring. Can't wait!

    Ca' del Dose
    http://www.cadeldose.com/

    If you go, tell the owners Anna and Marco I say hello!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails