Saturday, September 27, 2008

I look at a picture like this and I feel a lot of things. Awe, fear, sadness. Awe at the great majesty of a creature like this. Mammoth and gentle. Fear of the open ocean and the size of the thing, should it choose to open its mouth and envelope me. Sadness at knowing how humpback whales were nearly no more due to the senseless slaughter by my fellow man, and that the species is still struggling to rebuild its population and carry on. As for the photo itself, I feel only awe and joy and honor to have stumbled across such a special image, taken a million miles away from here off the island of Tonga. A place I've only ever dreamed of.

Your comments on this image are welcome, and encouraged! And a question for the photographer - pats0n - if s/he is so inclined: Is there anything special about this moment, day, trip, or place beyond what you've shared on Flickr that you'd like to add or comment on here? Along with other vivaca visitors, I would love to know more!

Location: Tonga ★
Photo courtesy of pats0n

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails