Tuesday, September 9, 2008


When I first stumbled upon the top photo of the flock, I couldn't help laughing out loud at the way the seagull closest to the camera is gazing goofily right into it. What a great photo! I love it. And the one below is so poetic. I've got a seagull story for you. Two, in fact. The first takes place right here in San Francisco. I was taking a friend from out of town out to Alcatraz Island and while we were waiting in line to board the ferry, along with a serpentine string of other tourists, a flock of aggressive gulls descended upon anyone and everyone with food. Well, you'll probably find it hard to believe, but I am entirely serious when I tell you that this guy standing next to us - focused on the big juicy cheeseburger and fries he was casually inhaling, rather than The Birds above - lost both his burger and his appetite when a particularly hungry and skillful gull stopped lurking and swooped down for the burger (and got it) in one fluid feat of flight. It was surreal. And real scary! The poor man was left with a few fries and a pile of nerves. Oh yeah. The second story. Yadda, yadda, yadda, the last time I was in the most serene city of Venice (Italy) I witnessed the most distinctly non-serene sight: a seagull standing on the algae-covered steps of a Grand Canal palazzo, gutting and gobbling down the innards of a pigeon. That's kinda cannibalism, no?

Your comments on this image are welcome, and encouraged! And a question for the photographers - Einfach Alina and Leo - if either is so inclined: Is there anything special about this moment, day, trip, or place beyond what you've shared on Flickr that you'd like to add or comment on here? Along with other vivaca visitors, I would love to know more!

Location: [top photo] Rovinj, Croatia ★
Photo courtesy of Einfach Alina

Location: [bottom photo] Italian Island of Sardinia ★
Photo courtesy of Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails